- To demonstrate the pelvic anatomy in the ewe.
- To confidently dissect the ureter and major pelvic vessels.
- To repair injury to the bowel and bladder.
- To practice the technique of internal iliac artery ligation.
- To raise a colostomy
- To repair vascular injuries using suture and overlay of autologous tissue (OAT) patch techniques
- To be knowledgeable about these procedures and to understand their place in the management of intraoperative injury.
During this session a number of surgical procedures will be performed by all participants with the supervision of experienced facilitators.
These procedures are done in pairs and are listed below:
- Identify pelvic organs
- Dissect ureter (1 each)
- Repair cystotomy (1 each)
- Dissect vessels of pelvic side wall (1 side each)
- Perform internal iliac artery ligation
- Repair enterotomy ( 1 each)
- Bowel resection (using large bowel) and anastomosis – one per pair
- Raise ‘colostomy’ or ‘ileostomy’ – one per pair
- Arteriotomy and Venotomy & repair – either one, 1 each
- OAT patch – 1 each